Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Disability and Being Chicano: The Lived Experiences Of A Dual Minority Group

Hello Everyone, I began this blog as a way for me to dialogue about my upcoming thesis project. You may be asking yourself, "What's your thesis about?" Well, as I haven't even drafted an outline yet, the following ideas are tentative:

Goals:
  • To give a voice to what I feel is an underrepresented if not outright invisible group within the field of Chicano Studies; namely, the disabled members of the Chicano Community.
  • To help those who are able-bodied connect with, and understand the histories of those people who are disabled. We have a story and it deserves to be included as well.
  • It is my hope that this project will allow for inclusion of the disabled Chicano experience into the larger discourse that encompasses the field of Chicano Studies.
  • Most importantly, it is my hope that this project and the subsequent work and effort that will be put forth will be done so that it will glorify my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Methodology:
  1. Use an interdisciplinary approach in constructing the academic and theoretical framework for this research project. Specifically, I'll be drawing from the disciplines of History, Anthropology, and Sociology. A variety of scholarly articles will be read , analyzed, and used for this study.
  2. In trying to decide which theoretical model I will implement, I'm leaning toward the work of Michel Foucault.
  3. Furthermore, I will also be conducting face to face interviews which I hope will function more as testimonios/testimonies where disabled members (male or female) can freely voice their lived experiences. 
  4. Be in constant contact with my thesis committee chair for guidance and suggestions as to how to complete this project as completely and efficiently as possible.
  5. Because I want to make this project as inclusive as possible, I welcome all suggestions, testimonios/testimonies, or help from anyone who is interested in helping out.
Schedule:

The time frame for this project will last from January 2012 through May of 2013. This project is a very big undertaking, and will require a lot of time, energy and support from everyone. Lord willing, we'll finish the project as completely and fully as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment